Archive for ◊ November, 2015 ◊

Author:
• Wednesday, November 25th, 2015

 

January is National Radon Action Month.
The holiday season has come and gone and hopefully we all had a great time with friends and family. Sharing gifts and good times and spreading love and joy to all of those we know. The holiday season also brings in the cold weather which in turn promotes a closed house condition. This means we keep the windows and doors closed more and fix any air leaks in the home we may notice.

ABC news just did a story Today on  Radon in public schools.  They did an Interview with me as President of Maryland Home Inspection Services and also Maryland RadonTesting.org as well as being a Certified Maser Inspector and a Certified Indoor Air Consultant they felt I was a good professional to talk to about Radon testing etc. in Maryland, Virginia and Washington D.C.

OK so what is Radon? And why should you have your home tested As Soon As Possible?
Radon is a radioactive gas that comes from the decay of naturally occurring radium and uranium in the earth. It is the second leading cause of lung cancer overall and the LEADING (#1) cause in non-smokers. The EPA estimates that as many as 20,000 lung cancer deaths a year are caused by radon. Radon is a colorless, odorless, tasteless, radioactive gas. It is not poisonous. Radon occurs naturally from the breakdown of deposits of radium and uranium that are present in virtually all soils everywhere in the US and throughout the world. Normally, the radon gas disperses harmlessly into the air; but, it can get into homes, and since you can’t see it or smell it, you can’t tell if it’s there.

Radon is a “noble” or “inert” gas, which means it doesn’t combine readily with other elements. Radon is the heaviest known gas, 9 times denser than air, and it consists of one, tiny, single atom—so it can penetrate most common building materials like sheet rock, mortar, wood, most insulation, even concrete, and block walls or flooring.

This is a direct quote from the epa.gov website;
“You can’t see, smell, or taste radon, but it could be present at a dangerous level in your home. Radon is the leading cause of lung cancer deaths among nonsmokers in America and claims the lives of about 20,000 Americans each year. In fact, the EPA and the U.S. Surgeon General urge all Americans to protect their health by testing their homes, schools, and other buildings for radon. Exposure to radon is a preventable health risk, and testing radon levels in your home can help prevent unnecessary exposure. If a high radon level is detected in your home, you can take steps to fix the problem to protect yourself and your family.”

Radon is colorless and odorless, so the only way to know if your home has a problem
is to TEST FOR IT.

What is a radon test?
A radon test is a simple, non-invasive test that can be conducted in as little as 48 to 96 hours to determine if radon gas is present. The inspector will need access to the home to initially place the measurement devices, and to retrieve the devices upon completion of the test. A detailed analysis is performed by a certified lab and results are provided to you generally within 2 days of submission for analysis. Not all inspectors are equal or even certified to perform a radon measurement inspection. Certification is not required in the state of Maryland, however, to set us apart from others
Maryland Home Inspection Services has chosen to be 100% certified and recognized by the International Association of Certified Indoor Air Consultants (IAC2).

 

Please call us today to have your test performed and to ensure the health and happiness of you and your family. Visit our main site to learn more and to set up your appointment today.

Maryland Home Inspection Services